Saturday, December 12, 2009

Dutch Babies (German Pancakes)

IMG_0733 IMG_0729

4 Eggs
½ c. Milk
¼ c. Flour
4 T. Butter (use less)
Pre-heat oven to 425. Place butter in skillet and melt in oven. While melting butter, mix eggs, milk, flour, and salt with beaters until foamy. Pour into skillet and bake.
Serve with lemon juice and powdered sugar.

When I was on my mission, my companion, Elder Brown, made German Pancakes for us once. I’ve been making them a lot lately.

The recipe above is copied directly from Grammy Marian’s recipe card. I didn’t know until this year that this was something she loved.

The picture on the right shows a Dutch Baby with pureed frozen strawberry. It’s best to add some sugar to the strawberries, as they’re a bit tart otherwise.

Lemon is a great topping for these. One time, I also made an orange sauce that was really good too. I just juiced an orange, put in a little bit of orange zest, sugar, and cornstarch, and left it on the stove on low for a some time, while I went and did other things.

I usually just bake my Dutch Babies in a Pyrex dish or something. Sometimes I do it in the toaster oven, but then I have to be careful that it doesn’t puff up so high that it makes a mess inside there.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Looks good! Do you mix the lemon juice with the powdered sugar?

CtrlAltJack said...

The time that we used lemon juice, we did sprinkle a lot of powdered sugar on top. It probably would have been a good idea to just add some sugar to the lemon juice in the first place though too.

Andrea said...

I had a roommate who would make these and we would put freezer jelly on it. It was yummy! I think that's what I'm going to have for breakfast...

Well, we didn't quite make it as the Robertson Family Singers: let's see how we do with cooking...