Saturday, August 8, 2009

Amish Sweet Dill Pickles

Hi Jocelyn -

Here is the zucchini pickles that you wanted. Elizabeth gave it to me. She says that she likes it with cucumbers instead of zucchini. I can see no difference and I can grow zucchini easily. Cucumbers are a lot more work.

Amish Sweet Dill Pickles

Bring to a boil: 3 Cups sugar, 2 Tablespoons salt, 2 Cups vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar), 2 Cups water.

Place in each pint jar (about 4 pint jars): sliced cucumbers or zucchini,

1 whole garlic clove, 1 dill sprig (1 teaspoon of dill weed is about the same as 4 dill sprigs)

Pour liquid into jars. Seal. Process about 15 minutes in steam canner.

These are better if eaten next month.
Love – Grandma

IMG_0257

Brent and I visited Grandpa and Grandma when we were in Provo and Grandma made us a very tasty lunch of grilled cheese sandwiches (with mustard), potato salad, and these delicious pickles. Now I just need a garden!

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Sounds so good! I bought some zucchini plants last week. It should be hot enough, long enough here to get a little crop! Maybe I can make these zucchini pickles. I also thought I bought crookneck sqaush, but when I got home I found it was OKRA!

Grammyzanne said...

Sounds like a good (and easy) dill pickle recipe.

Joanne whatever you do, DON'T boil the okra! (In fact, I'd be tempted to cut my losses and not bother watering. Well maybe I'd go farther than that and not even plant.)

Joanne said...

I'm NOT planting the okra! I think I'll just drop it off in the RS room tomorrow.

Jocelyn Robertson said...

I'm not sure I've ever eaten okra. Now I'm tempted just to see what it's like.

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

Jack and I have been talking about how we want to plant the yard --what we want, where to put it, and when to plant it.

Per Aunt Suzanne's suggestion, we are hoping to plant in the fall. We have been working on digging up the pool in prep for demolishing the top foot or so (it's a buried pool that sticks out a bit above the grass).

Tonight we plotted out with a little more detail what it is we want to plant and where. We even sketched it out. One step closer.

About okra: Jack's grandma loves it and plants it every year. She serves it breaded and fried.

Joanne said...

Tamara, you and Jack can have my okra plants if they are still alive! And then ENJOY! Ick.

Jocelyn Robertson said...

Almost 10 years later, and I have a garden. I think I ought to pick up a zucchini seedling.

Well, we didn't quite make it as the Robertson Family Singers: let's see how we do with cooking...