Friday, April 22, 2011

Potato Cheese Casserole

7 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and grated
Mix together:
1/2 cup melted margarine
1/3 cup dry onions
1 1/2 cup grated cheese
2 cups sour cream
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
1 tsp. salt
Pour mixtures over grated potatoes and mix. Spread into a 9X13 pan.
Sprinkle with crushed cornflakes or parsley. Bake 45 minutes at 350.
Tips: Don't over boil the potatoes or it will be hard to grate. A chopped onion can be substituted for dry onions. Place dry or fresh onion with the margarine when melting. Frozen potatoes can be used (but not as good!).

4 comments:

CtrlAltJack said...

Oh good! We had just been thinking about making this and hadn't started looking for the recipe yet. Your timing couldn't have been better.

Jocelyn Robertson said...

Thanks for posting this, Mom. This is certainly a family classic. I made a potato gratin for Easter dinner; however, I wished that I had just gone with this one. However, one thing I liked about the gratin is that it was baked in a pie crust lined springform pan. It was beautiful. I might try combining that with our potato cheese casserole sometime soon.

Michael said...

I brought this for our department potluck today. It was a hit. I doubled the grated cheese - 3 cups, used a whole large grated onion, and of course I did not use frozen potatoes. I mixed it up last night and put it in our large crock pot and stored it in the fridge over night. This morning, I baked it in the oven for an hour to brown the top. When I got to work, I turned the crock pot on high for an hour, then low for another two hours. It was good, but a little on the soupy side.

Michael said...

This year, I baked it in the 9X13 pan in the oven at 350 for an hour and twenty minutes (45 minutes is too short), let it cool for twenty minutes, then transferred it to the crock pot. Left it on warm the rest of the morning. Perfect.

Well, we didn't quite make it as the Robertson Family Singers: let's see how we do with cooking...