Monday, June 27, 2011

Grandma Jocelyn Cowles' Dinner roll recipe

Use Bread maker dough setting for 90 mins.

1 1/2 cup warm milk
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. shortening
5 cups flour
The amount of flour seems to vary. If the dough is sticky, add flour as you shape each roll. I keep the dough covered with a damp cheesecloth while shaping and letting rise. I put the rolls in a warm place to rise about 20 mins before baking. Place on lightly sprayed cookie sheet, bake about 20 minutes at 350. Makes between 20 - 24 rolls.

4 comments:

Jocelyn Robertson said...

Ahh, I love Grandma's rolls. I've got a batch in the bread maker right now. Thanks for posting this. :)

Michael said...

After hearing accusations that this is not the real recipe for Grandma's rolls, we verified that this is indeed the true recipe. However, one detail that is not included, is to disolve the yeast in the warm milk. The milk should be heated on high for one minute or so-warm but not hot-the secret is to stir the milk with your clean finger. If it is too hot, wait, or pour into another container to cool. Also the rising in a warm location is important.

Jocelyn Robertson said...

I guess I need to practice my bread skills.

Jocelyn Robertson said...

I guess I need to practice my bread skills.

Well, we didn't quite make it as the Robertson Family Singers: let's see how we do with cooking...