Saturday, July 5, 2008

Baked Apple French Toast

My mom made this once before my mission, and I made it from memory with variations several times on my mission. It's become a breakfast of choice for special occasions.
Serves: 6


12 slices of sandwich bread
1.5 cups milk
8 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup sugar or more
2 teaspoons cinnamon or more (to be sprinkled 3 times)

Peel, core, and slice apples. Grease or spray with Pam a 9x13x2" pan. Place 6 (squeeze) bread slices into pan, with the round sides toward the edges of the pan. Mix together 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle some on the bread. Place the next 6 pieces of bread & sprinkle again.. Mix together milk, eggs, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of sugar. Pour 1/2 of egg milk mixture over bread. Place apples on bread. Pour remaining milk and egg mixture over the apples. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar. (You may put 2 teaspoon butter dots on top if you want before cooking ... I don't do this). If prepared the night before, cover and put in the fridge. In the morning, uncover it and put it in the preheated oven at 400 degrees for an hour. If not chilled, bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 45 min. Serve with maple syrup.

4 comments:

CtrlAltJack said...

When I make it, I usually don't measure anything, so my mileage varies. I also don't peel or core the apples and it turns out just as well, but peeled apples are easier to cut with a fork when you're eating it.
I prefer Granny Smith apples for this, but other kinds turn out well also.
One time I made it with blueberries and chocolate sauce instead of apples. That was really good.

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

This really is a yummy recipe. : )

MELISSA GONZALEZ said...

I have made this two weeks in a row and my family loves it! I love to make it when I have company over.

Jocelyn Robertson said...

I made this for Sunday breakfast and served it with ginger syrup. It was AMAZING. Thanks for helping me impress people that I want to impress.

Well, we didn't quite make it as the Robertson Family Singers: let's see how we do with cooking...