Friday, July 11, 2008

Cool Summer Drinks


I loved Brent's summer beverage post. I'm always looking for ways to stay comfortable when the weather heats up. Check out this fun calendar for a month of cool beverages and refreshing sippers: My Recipes - June Calendar

Here's the list of non-alcoholic drinks from the calendar:

June 1 - Strawberry-Raspberry Soda
June 8 - Chocolate Fizz
June 10 - Homemade Orange Soda
June 11 - Pomegranate Orange Cooler
June 15 - Triple Berry Freeze
June 16 - Berry-Melon Agua Fresca
June 17 - White Grape-and-Orange Cooler
June 29 - Orange-Basil Cooler
June 30 - Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade
Does anyone have tips for making some of the other drinks without alcohol? I know Jack makes Mojitos without rum. Do you substitute extra juice or just leave out the alcohol?

Let us know if you try any of these fun drinks.

3 comments:

CtrlAltJack said...

I didn't know they were supposed to have rum. Wouldn't that make it taste different?

I've never seen a recipe for mojitos, I just make them based off a picture I saw. I use Fresca limes and mint with a little bit of almond syrup mixed in. You can find almond syrup next to the coffee at the grocery store. I've not yet been really successful in composing the drink w/ ice to make all the greenery well distributed.

Jocelyn Robertson said...

Yep, Mojitos originated in Cuba and typically have a shot of rum. The lime, sugar, and mint mask the flavor of the alcohol, so the virgin version tastes about the same.

For more info you can check out this Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojito

Jocelyn Robertson said...

Next time we hang out, I'll bring my muddler. It helps with the distribution of the mint leaves.

Well, we didn't quite make it as the Robertson Family Singers: let's see how we do with cooking...